Dayton Arcade Facade
Dayton Arcade is a historic, architecturally elegant complex located in the heart of the city’s central business district. The property consists of nine interconnecting buildings topped by a glass-domed rotunda that is 70 feet tall and 90 feet in diameter. The buildings were originally built between 1902 and 1904 by Eugene J. Barney and were designed by Architect Frank M. Andrews, who was known for many of NCRs factory buildings and the American Building at Third.
Due to years of neglect, Dayton’s building envelope system was showing significant deterioration. PULLMAN was tasked to restore the dilapidated structures to their former glory. The scope of work included 50,500 lf of tuckpointing in brick, terra cotta, granite, and limestone. This included removing and replacing approximately 7,200 bricks and 1,000 individual terra cotta jahn repairs. The team cleaned 90,000 sf of the building’s facade, restored 330 lf of decorative metal balustraded parapet, and rebuilt 112 lf of enhancing cornice.
PULLMAN safely accessed and worked on six of the nine structures as part of Phase 1 repairs. Modes of access consisted of swing stages. PULLMAN’s competent riggers were able to successfully rig the structures with these stages and work around other subcontractors with minimal impact to their work.
The project came in under budget, achieved a weather-tight envelope, and repairs were completed in accordance with historical tax credits. Through close coordination with Cross Street Partners, Model Group, and Sandvick Architects, PULLMAN established a repair scope that met the needs of the owner and provided a watertight and sound building envelope system that will carry Dayton Arcade into future decades.